Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Knitting Needle Case


Since the knitting needle set that I recently purchased did not come with a case, I needed to make one. (I suppose I could have stuck them in a mug and called it a day, but I wanted to be a bit more organized.) I had left over khaki material and some bias tape and thought that I could use them to create my case.

I cut a piece of cloth (about 19 inches high and 20 inches wide). I sewed single folded bias tape on the bottom edge of the material. Then on the back of the material, I centered and sewed a length of twill tape (of about 40 inches) about 5½ inches from the top and about ½ inch from the side edge. I used a zigzag stitch on the twill tape (for about two inches) to help keep the tape in place.

Then I folded the material bottom up so that it was about three inches from the top. The plan was to use bias tape on the three unfinished edges. However, this created problems since the bias tape was too narrow to sew straight when the fabric was double in thickness. So after some failed attempts at sewing straight, I decided to use a zigzag stitch and this worked better. I created 1 inch compartments for the first ten needles sizes and 1½ inch compartments for the last five needles sizes. I was going to label each compartment with a specific needle size using a fabric pen, but I tested my fabric pen and didn’t like the way it looked so I decided against labeling.

Once the needles are inside each compartment, the case is rolled tautly and tied with the twill tape to keep everything in place. My knitting needle case is imperfect (a bit ragged in some areas), but I think it’s serviceable and the important thing is that it keeps my needles organized.










No comments:

Post a Comment