Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Extra Dart Fix


Since my proportions don’t match exactly to those of the sewing pattern sizes, I tried to tweak this dress pattern to fit me…but I don’t think I did it the right way. [Sigh.] Originally, the neckline was like a V that got cut in half horizontally (so it had a flat bottom). But once my side seams were sewn and the zipper was sewn in, I tried on this dress and saw that there was too much room in the bust area. I didn’t want to undo everything that I had already done, so to fix this problem I decided to put a dart down the front that would create a V-neckline.

One of these days I’ll actually be able to finish a pattern without “fixing” problems along the way. I realize it all has to do with taking my measurements correctly and altering the pattern from the start to get those measurements to match accordingly. However, the desire I have to mess with the pattern is fairly non-existent—but I think I’m just going to have to get over it if I want my garments to fit better in the future.

Yet despite the fitting issues I had with this dress, I think it came out fairly well. I used some cheap $2/yard crepe in a light purple (that may not be my all-time favorite color but was definitely one of the better colors in the discount fabric section), and good enough for me to practice sewing a new pattern on.





No comments:

Post a Comment