Thursday, June 13, 2013

Raspberry Raglan Dress


I got this raspberry fabric with faint polka dots on it and knew I wanted to make a dress with it. After looking at some patterns (and considering how much fabric I had) I settled on a raglan dress pattern.

Although it was my first time using this pattern, the sewing wasn’t too difficult because the pattern was fairly simple. I’m still trying to work slower and take the time to redo things if I’m dissatisfied with something (even though I really just want to speed through the steps and get done as quickly as possible). This time I redid the stitches at the curve along the arm edge because I did it really sloppy the first time and knew it looked terrible, so I (with great annoyance and reluctance) redid them (which I was glad I did in the end).

The main issue I had with sewing this dress was the top being too loose, which has been a fairly consistent problem for me. [I know I’ve said it before, but one of these days I’m going to get around to altering my pattern before I start sewing rather than making makeshift alternations while I’m sewing. (Sigh.)] So to fix the looseness I sewed the side seams in, which made for a better fit (but it’s a lot uglier from the inside—although luckily I’m the only one who has to see it). Overall I’m fairly satisfied with this dress; it’s a simple dress in a bold color.





No comments:

Post a Comment