Thursday, February 25, 2016

Thrifted for $2.82

I picked up items at two places: a church sale and a pay-by-the-pound Goodwill. At the church sale, I got a children’s book, Timothy Slept On. It’s exactly what it sounds like; a boy (who likes to sleep in), just doesn’t wake up no matter what the townspeople do to rouse him.

This book is from 1964 and I adore the illustrations. They are awesome. I bought this book for 50 cents.

I also bought this glass jar for $1. I liked the fleur de lis marks on it. It’s simple and cute; I thought I could use it to store food supplies.

At the pay-by the-pound Goodwill I got some unnecessarily items for $1.32. First I got this red Pendleton sweater. [Pause.] Now I’m having second thoughts about it…and I’m thinking it’s going in the donate pile.

I also got a gray and red belt.

And finally I got this Old Navy Love More shirt. I would never wear it in public since I avoid wearing anything that has words with any sort of “message” or logo on it. I only bought it so I could wear it at home.

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Potholders for Christmas

I decided to make potholders as Christmas gifts this year. I’d never made potholders before, but looking online, the directions didn’t seem too difficult. I thought they would be useful items to have, and I also thought they wouldn’t be too difficult or time-consuming to make.

First, I bought a yard of red cotton fabric and made bias tape…that took some time. I decided I wanted to make potholders with a pocket, partly because I think it adds visual interest and partly because I like the added functionality of it. I cut out squares in my chosen fabrics, batting and Insul-Bright. I quilted each fabric piece to batting or Insul-Bright. I added the pocket (that was bias tape edged at the top) to one fabric piece, and then basted all layers together to stay in place. I trimmed the sides. Then I sewed the bias tape along the edges.

In the past, I’ve used bias tape minimally and probably not very well. I looked at my sewing book for directions of how to sew bias tape around corners and tried to follow its directions. I had varying degrees of success. I think it got easier over time, but it still looks rather messy. I also had issues because I wanted a loop for hanging. I did it pretty horrendously the first time and had to redo it. I don’t think my solution looks super awesome (although it’s better than it was), but hopefully it’s functional.

I created four sets of potholders that were all made with 100% cotton. Three of them used navy (scrap fabric from a skirt) as a neutral and the red bias tape for a pop of color. The first set I used blue patterned fabric that was scrap material from a dress I made some time ago.

The next set used a blue geometric pattern that was also scrap fabric from when I made some bags.

The third set used My Little Pony fabric.

The fourth set (top photo) I used a yellow bias tape (that I made). I wanted to use this fun spoon pattern as the main fabric and chose a light gray as an accent color. This is my favorite set that I made (and it was created last, so I think it’s made a bit better).

Discounting the amount of time it took to create my own bias tape, I would say it probably took me about 4-5 hours to create one set of potholders. Some of this was because of trial and error and learning to create something different. I struggled using the bias tape more than I thought would have and was never very happy with it. I also think I’m just on the slower end of the sewing spectrum. Luckily, I managed to finish them all before Christmas.

Thursday, February 4, 2016

$19.50 at an Estate Sale

Usually, at an estate sale, I like to go around the house a couple of times. The first time around, I take a broader look to see if anything catches my eye. The second (or third) time, I generally spend more time looking through things and see items I didn’t notice before.

I think I’d gone around the house a couple of times before I saw this set of three white Fire King mixing bowls in the kitchen cabinet. Maybe they hadn’t been there before or perhaps I just hadn’t noticed them. But I liked the external swirl pattern and they looked like they were in pretty good condition. I got them for $15. When I looked it up later, they seem to be from the 1950s, although initially a set of four bowls. 

I also got three small glass bowls for 50 cents each.

And I bought an umbrella for $3. I’ve had my old cheap umbrella for years, but I noticed the other day that it’s starting to fall apart, so I was glad to get a new umbrella.